According to a Kremlin-appointed governor of Sevastopol, the largest city in Russian-annexed Crimea and a significant port on the Black Sea, Moscow’s Black Sea warships have repelled a drone strike in Sevastopol Bay, as the fierce battle rages for the power of Donetsk Oblast’s Bakhmut city and the port city of Kherson.
Governor Mikhail V. Razvozhayev said on Saturday morning that on October 29, commencing at 04:30 AM for a few hours, multiple air systems in the strategic Sevastopol city shot down unmanned aerial vehicles. He added that all drone attacks had been repelled by the naval arm of the Russian Armed Forces.
Later, Mr. Razvozhayev told the Russian state TV that at night, the most massive strike by drones and unmanned surface vehicles in the waters of the bay of Sevastopol – a bay which splits the city of Sevastopol into the Northern side and the Southern side – was undertaken since Putin-led military launched its invasion. According to the Ukrainian Armed Forces, Moscow troops continued their withdrawal from the port city of Kherson before an anticipated advance by Ukrainian forces.
Furthermore, Russia blamed Britain for assisting Kyiv forces in planning a UAV attack on its Black Sea Fleet – the fleet of the Russian Navy in the Black Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Sea of Azov – in Sevastopol port and added that one of its ships suffered little damage. In the meantime, Russian claimed that its forces are gradually moving closer to the eastern Bakhmut city.
⚡️ Insitute for the Study of War: Russian forces not making significant progress anywhere along front lines.
However, a Russian information operation is advancing the narrative that Russian forces are making progress in Bakhmut, likely to improve morale among Russian forces.
— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) October 29, 2022
US to Provide More Military Aid for Ukraine
According to media reports, gaining Bakhmut city would rupture Ukraine’s supply lines and open the course for Moscow’s military to advance towards urban Sloviansk and Kramatorsk in northern Donetsk, major Kyiv strongholds in the eastern Donetsk Oblast, which along with Kherson, the People’s Republic of Luhansk, and Zaporizhzhya, was illegally annexed in September.
Recently on 28 October, the Pentagon announced the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of defense support worth 275M dollars to boost the defense of Ukraine against Russian aggression. This approval is the President Joe Biden Government’s 24th weapon drawdown from US stockpiles for Kyiv since August last year.
The Capabilities in the United States’ USD 275M military package for Ukraine include more ammunition for M-142 HIMARS; two thousand 155-millimeter shells of RAAM Systems – 155-mm Howitzer projectiles; 125 HMMWVs; five hundred precision-guided 155-millimeter artillery shells; over thirteen hundred anti-armor systems and over 2.75 million shells of small arms ammunition. Since January 2021, Washington has sent around 18.5 Bn dollars in military support to the government in Kyiv.
Read Also: Moscow Completes Residents’ Relocation Ahead of Kherson Fight