On Wednesday, the White House declared a new military assistance package worth $325m to strengthen Ukrainian forces’ defense against the Kremlin troops. The latest security aid is the US’s 36th Drawdown of arms for Ukraine since the Russian aggression in February 2022, and with this aid, the total American artillery aid to Kyiv becomes $35.4bn. Anti-tank mines, advanced missiles, and more ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket System HIMARS are also part of the aid package.
Antony Blinken, Secretary of the State to the White House, stated that military assistance would include anti-armor systems, logistics, small arms, HIMARS and artillery rounds, support vehicles, and maintenance support essential to support Ukraine in strengthening its armies to fight back against Russia. Furthermore, Blinken said that Russia could end this war whenever it wanted. He said America and other ally nations would firmly support Ukraine until Russia continues its aggression for as long as it takes. American Defense Department states that the US would keep supporting Ukraine until needed.
HIMARS, provided by the US, is an advanced missile launcher system installed on a truck and can fire multiple missiles at once quickly. Kyiv armies have made significant achievements using this missile system by targeting Kremlin forces, and it can hit within a range of 80 KM.
What includes in $325m assistance package for Ukraine?
Ukraine’s aid package will be funded by the Presidential Drawdown Authority (PDA), which authorizes the President to take military equipment directly from American stocks in the case of emergency without seeking any approval. Also, the announced aid package is the 36th withdrawal from PDA since the start of Joe Biden’s government in August 2021.
The latest American defense assistance package for Ukraine includes:
● AT-4 anti-armor weapon systems
● Anti-tank mines
● diagnostic and Testing equipment to support vehicle maintenance and repair
● Port and harbor security equipment
● 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds
● Destruction rounds for obstruction clearing
● Over 9 million small arms ammunition
● Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles
● Four logistics support vehicles
● More rounds for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS)
● Spare parts and other field equipment.
● Precision aerial munitions