Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) of Ukraine, Oleksiy Danilov, claims they are ready for a long-awaited counter-offensive to attack back aggressively against Russian forces. He stated that Kyiv’s armies had prepared to counter the Kremlin forces to regain the occupied territory. However, Danilov did not mention the date but said they could even start the counter-strike tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or in a week. He described that the Ukrainian government was dedicated to its decisions and would not make any mistakes as this is a historic opportunity, and they won’t miss and must act. Secretary, Mr. Danilov, is a consolidated member of President Vladimir Zelenskyy’s de facto war cabinet and at a critical seat.
Danilov was giving an interview to a news agency when he received a message from President Zelenskyy on his phone summoning him for a meeting to discuss the counter-offensive. During the interview, he described that some of the Russian Wagner mercenary forces were stepping back from Bakhmut city, where the bloodiest war happened for several months and took thousands of troops’ lives.
The fighting countries lost many lives and spent massive artillery in the Bakhmut, the war’s deadliest spot. Both sides struggled to take complete control of the city, but no one succeeded so far. Wagner forces are the face of the Russian military fighting hard in this city. Danilov added Putin’s forces would fight back as they were regrouping in three other locations.
Russia is Also Preparing its Defense
Mr. Secretary said he has been calm about Kremlin deploying nuclear weapons in Belarus and said, “To us, it is not some kind of news.” Kyiv has been planning and preparing its armies for a counter-offensive for months and took massive artillery and defense from allies in this regard. But it has wanted as much time as possible to gather the military equipment and to train the troops. There is much at stake in this counter-offensive because Ukraine has to show its nationals and Western-allied countries that they can break through Kremlin lines of force and get some results in regaining its lost territories. It can also be challenging as Moscow reportedly has been strengthening its Defense. So It will not be that easy for Zelenskyy forces.
Mr. Oleksiy Danilov told Ukrainian armies would step ahead and start a long-awaited offensive strike when commanders said they could get the best results at that specific time. He was asked if Kyiv forces were ready for counter-strike: he replied they were always prepared, same as they were ready to defend the country at any time, and this is not the question to ask. He announced they could start the offensive any time, but he could not give the dates as they were responsible before their country. They do not have any chance of mistakes.
Ukraine Hasn’t started Counter-offensive Yet
There is also a debate that Ukraine has already started the counter-offensive; Dailov denied that argument and told Kyiv armies have been targeting Russian facilities and military equipment since February 24 last year. Ukraine fought for months in Bakhmut city and lost too many troops; Mr. Secratery defended Kyiv’s that decision and said Bakhmut was their land, and they would never leave or yield it.
Secretary of the (NSDC) of Ukraine said if they yielded each of their settlements, they could be forced to the western border, which Russia sought from the first day of aggression. He expressed it is true they only control a small portion of Bakhmut city right now, but no one can undermine the role this city has played in the war. He was questioned if Wagner mercenaries were leaving Bakhmut; he replied yes and added that it doesn’t mean they won’t fight with us. Russian troops have been regrouping in three other positions.